By Hayley Stobbs R.Ac, CNC
Persimmon is an orange-red autumn and winter seasonal fruit that is native to China. You can find it at your local, conventional, and Chinese grocer. The variety shown in the photo above is very sweet in taste and has a smooth texture, reminiscent of cantaloupe but more dense and velvety.
The fruit is a good source of vitamin A, C, manganese, fibre, and antioxidants. Therapeutically persimmon is cooling, sweet, tonifies yin, and regulates heat and phlegm. It enters the following meridian pathways, directing its effect towards these particular organs: heart, large intestine, lung, spleen, and stomach.
Tahini cream: tahini + water + lemon juice + vanilla & ginger powder
2 medium persimmons, peeled and chopped
Handful of sprouted pumpkin seeds
85% dark chocolate, chopped
Pinch of cinnamon and clove powder
1. Heat 3 cups of coconut cream in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir occasionally.
2. Dissolve 2 tablespoons of collagen powder in 3/4 cup water. Set aside.
3. Turn the heat off just as the coconut cream is about to boil. Whisk in the water-collagen mixture. Transfer to a 1 litre (4 cup) mason jar, allow it to cool, and then refrigerate overnight to set.
4. In the morning transfer the set coconut cream to a medium sized mixing bowl. Add the lemon juice, optional sweetener (stevia, maple syrup, or honey), and whisk until smooth.
5. Whisk 1/4 cup tahini with 3/4 cups water until smooth and creamy. Add lemon juice, ginger powder, vanilla powder, optional sweetener, and a pinch of sea salt to taste. Taste and adjust as desired.
6. Peel and chop the persimmons.
7. Layer your bowl with coconut yogurt, tahini cream, persimmon, pumpkin seeds, and dark chocolate. Sprinkle with cinnamon and a pinch of clove powder.
Yields 1 serving.
If you’re interested in nutrition and acupuncture I’d be happy to guide you along. Please visit www.vcaspa.com to book online or call 250-590-4341. To learn more about my acupuncture practice, follow @hayley_stobbs on Instagram.
Wishing you love & vitality,
Hayley Stobbs R.Ac, CNC